NO CHEMICALS ADDED
We can 100% say that we do not add any chemicals (including flame retardant) inside the product or on the outside.
We feel very strong about this as we (should) be spending 8 hours a night sleeping
There is an excellent PDF from https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/materials/flame_retardants_508.pdf that explore flame retardants and why we should avoid these.
Some of the fire retardants commonly used include:
- Boric acid, a pesticide that is used to kill cockroaches, and which causes respiratory irritation and skin irritation
- Antimony,a metal that may be more toxic than mercury. As this accumulates in your body over time, it could present a significant health risk
- Rayon treated with silica, which is unstudied for its toxicity effects. Rayon is a synthetic fiber treated with various chemicals during processing
- Formaldehyde, which has been linked to cancer
- Melamine resin, a known carcinogen
- Vinylidene chloride, a known carcinogen, which can cause eye and respiratory irritation and organ damage
- Methyl benzene, a nervous system disruptor.
From the PDF : a growing body of evidence shows that many of these chemicals are associated with adverse health effects in animals and humans, including endocrine and thyroid disruption, impacts to the immune system, reproductive toxicity, cancer, and adverse effects on fetal and child development and neurologic function.
Note the key point about a growing body of evidence – it is not just 1 of study. The weight of the evidence seems to suggest negative health consequences, so why risk it?
Just to repeat the point. We don’t have flame retardants in or on our products – or, other chemicals that such as volatile organic compounds – which are found in cheaper products that use polyurethane as filling.